Martinelli Road (Banfield)
- Russian River Valley
- Planted by
- Banfield Family
- Historical Producers
Carlisle, Woodenhead, Arista
This Russian River Valley site has been continuously farmed since the 1870s when it was first planted by the Banfield family. The Butler family purchased the property from the Banfields in the 1880s and replaced the vines that had succumbed to Phylloxera. The Butlers sold the property to Giuseppe Martinelli in 1903.
The soil is Yolo Loam. Approximately 1/3 of the vineyard is planted on a steeply sloped knoll while the remaining 2/3 is planted on the flat plain. The vines are head trained with no trellis system and are dry farmed. The cover crop is native grass and no chemicals, pesticides or herbicides are used in the farming.
Other names: Banfield Vineyard, Martinelli & Duckhorn Vineyard, Martinelli Road Vineyard, Rancho Burro