- Current Owner
- Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines
- Planted by
- Lucius Charles Tamm, the original owner, planted the first vines at Chalone Vineyard in 1919
Mineral and stone fruit, apple and citrus.
Planted in 1919, it is the oldest known vineyard in Monterey County.
The first grapes were planted at the Chalone Vineyard by Frenchman Charles Tamm when his family became homesteaders on the Gavilan Range.
The soils of the land, composed of limestone and calcium carbonite under volcanic deposits left by prehistoric eruptions of the Pinnacles volcano, bear a remarkable resemblance to the soils of Burgundy. It is very likely that it was the recognition of these soils, by either Charles Tamm or his father, Jean-Auguste, that attracted them to the site.
Chalone is the name of the American Indian tribe that inhabited the Gavilan Range in what is now Monterey County. Chalone Vineyard is one of the oldest Chenin Blanc vineyards in California and one of the few remaining today.