Stony Hill Vineyard (1948 Block)
- St. Helena
- Napa County
- Spring Mountain District
- Current Owner
- Lawrence Wine Estates
- Planted by
- Frederick and Eleanor McCrea
- Location Notes
Stony Hill sits on steep terraces on the eastern side of the Mayacamas Mountains in the Spring Mountain District AVA of the Napa Valley, located between the towns of St. Helena and Calistoga and bordered by Ritchie Creek to the north and Mill Creek to the south.
The entirety of this block is dedicated to Stony Hill wine production.
- Historical Producers
In the early years, the McCrea’s were selling Riesling to Lee Stewart of Souverain.
This Riesling block lends itself to a wine of mineral character, balance, elegance, and age-ability. Made in a crisp and light style with only the slightest amount of residual sugar.
This historic vineyard is cherished by many, holding the oldest single variety Riesling vineyard in America. In 1948 when Frederick and Eleanor McCrea planted these vines along with Chardonnay and Pinot blanc, they set the tone for a new level of excellence in white wine production in Napa Valley. The McCrea’s had been encouraged by the team at UC Davis to plant several white varieties as they were getting to know their terroir. Their project was not only the first new winery established after the repeal of prohibition, but also the first Napa Valley winery dedicated solely to whites. These vines are all that remain of the original planting.
The Riesling cuttings were pulled from Inglenook Vineyards and planted on St. George rootstock. These vines are head-trained, spur pruned, and were dry farmed up until this point where the drought has served to be a formidable challenge. Planted on terraces on a steep volcanic slope, the roots are encouraged to search deep for water and nutrients, channeling pure expression of site. Farming practices now include no-till, organic and biodynamic methods to nurture these vines and the surrounding ecosystem.
- (707) 963-2636
- Submitted by
- Renee Burkus